Monday, November 20, 2006

Kramer's Rant

First Mel Gibson, now Michael Richards (aka Kramer). I really don't get it. Is it possible to go on racists rants like this but not have any racist feelings at all? I can't see how. It has to come from somewhere. Unless he was just so mad he was desperate to find any hateful thing to shoot back at the hecklers. So far, he hasn't explained himself. He may have to, though, if he wants to keep working.

UPDATE: OK, here's his explanation:

"I'm a performer. I push the envelope. I work in a very uncontrolled manner on stage. I do a lot of free association — it's spontaneous, I go into character. I don't know. In view of the situation and the act going the way it was going, I don't know. The rage did go all over the place it went to everybody in the room." Richards seemed baffled by his own reaction on stage. "I'm not a racist, that's what's so insane about this," he said.

I don't find that completely convincing, although I can see that's it's a possible explanation. He was trying to go into a character, and chose a completely inappropriate one. He was too deep into the character to realize what he was doing as he was doing it.

No comments: