Friday, December 22, 2006

Condi on the Possibility of a Black President

Condoleezza Rice on the possibility of a black president:
"Yes, I think a black person can be elected president," Rice said in an Associated Press interview Thursday.

...

She said the first successful black candidate will be "judged by all the things that Americans ultimately end up making their decision on: Do I agree with this person? Do I share this person's basic values? Am I comfortable that this person is going to make decisions when I'm not in the room that are very consequential?"

At the same time, she said, "We should not be naive. Race is still an issue in America. When a person walks into a room, race is evident. It's something that I think is going to be with us for a very, very long time."

I think she gets it exactly right. It's too bad she doesn't have the personality to pull it off herself. She's too much of a bureaucrat, in my opinion. She might make a great VP choice, though.

On a similar topic, it is being suggested that Obama will have a hard time getting African-Americans to vote for him. Hopefully Obama is smart enough to realize that he can't do anything more than be himself. Once politicians start changing in order to appeal to particular groups, they lose a lot of credibility.

No comments: