Monday, December 11, 2006

Why Do People Love Obama?

The Christian Science Monitor explains:
So what's driving Obama-mania?

It isn't a single set of issues such as the war or the economy. Rather, the attraction seems to be a mix of Obama's own compelling personal narrative and many voters' desire for a less caustic brand of politics.

"It's the sense that you're in the presence of someone who is touched with the gift of grace," says Ross Baker, a political scientist at Rutgers University in New Brunswick, N.J. Obama, Illinois' junior senator, exemplifies the hope that there's some way to triumph over the intense polarization of American politics, he adds

That sounds right to me. I would just add that he seems smart, likeable, even-tempered and articulate. In short, in terms of personality, he's my favorite (possible) Presidential candidate so far. Now, whether that overcomes a variety of policy disagreements I'm sure I'll have with him is going to be interesting.

No comments: